Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Elasto Painters top assistant Caloy Garcia eyed as next Letran Knights coach

AKTV/Paolo Papa
AKTV/Paolo Papa
With his coaching credentials and his background as an alumnus of Letran, Rain or Shine’s top assistant coach Caloy Garcia has emerged as a strong candidate to take over as coach of the Knights.
Garcia is no stranger to college basketball, having coached College of Saint Benilde. The Letran job has been vacant since the end of the season after the resignation of coach Louie Alas.
“I think the interview went well,” said Garcia. “The decision might be out if not tomorrow, this week daw. I want to help the school. If they choose somebody else, okay lang din sa akin.”
The choice for Letran coach is reportedly down to two men, Garcia and Larry Albano. Letran Squires coach Monch Gavieres as well well as Alas assistants Tino Pinat and Ronjay Enrile also reportedly applied for the job.
“When Coach Louie left, some alumni approached me and talked to me since I studied in Letran. They asked me if I could apply,” said Garcia.
He said that Bernie Atienza, his former boss at CSB who is also a Letran alumnus, encouraged him to interview for the post.
Garcia was a part of Letran’s Team B back in the early 1990s before leaving the squad because of some conflicts. A multi-sport athlete, he also won a football championship for Letran high school.
“It could be nice to help this team especially because I know this team likes to recruit players,” said Garcia.
“Whoever they choose, that’s the type of coach they need. All the other applicants are capable of coaching a team. Siguro, they’re just looking for somebody they can trust and someone who studied in Letran.”
Despite having been out of the collegiate coaching scene, Garcia is deeply familiar with the NCAA.
“I always watch the games. Actually, the only game I didn’t watch was Game Three of the finals dahil may game din ang Rain or Shine nun.”

Source:InterAKTV

No comments:

Post a Comment